Former Laker Derek Fisher named head coach of Crespi High School basketball team
Derek Fisher, a five-time NBA champion who played for the Los Angeles Lakers, Golden State Warriors, Utah Jazz, Oklahoma City Thunder
– and Dallas Mavericks during his 18-season NBA career, has been named the head coach of Crespi High School's basketball team.
– Fisher also served as the head coach of the New York Knicks from 2014 to 2016 and most recently coached the WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks from 2019 to 2022.
– He had been coaching eighth graders at Heritage Christian School prior to taking on the role at Crespi High School.
Fisher's appointment reflects his dedication to coaching and teaching
– and he looks forward to contributing to the development of young student-athletes.
– Brian Bilek, Crespi Director of Athletics, emphasized Fisher's commitment to the holistic development of student-athletes and expressed optimism about the program's future under Fisher's leadership.
– The hiring of Fisher draws parallels to other former NBA players, like Michael Cooper, who have found success as high school and women's basketball coaches.